Lithium battery technology is now focused on building progress in a handful of places. The process usually involves implementing advancements in nanotechnology and also micro-structures. For example:
* Increasing cycle daily life and performance (decreasing internal resistance as well as boosting output power) by changing the composition of the material used in the anode and also cathode, as well as raising the real surface area of the electrodes and varying materials applied to the electrolyte.
* Improving capacity by enhancing the building to include much more active materials.
* Improving the safety of lithium-ion batteries.
We should really discover big innovations in effectiveness & strength inside the future. In 2006, a group of experts at MIT announced a procedure which employs viruses to develop nano-sized wires. These can be employed to build ultra thin lithium ion batteries with three times the standard energy density. In 2009 a report in New Scientist reported that MIT had been successful in making the very first full virus-based 3-volt lithium ion battery pack. Later on in 2009, designers at the University of Dayton Research Institute developed the world’s very first solid-state, rechargeable lithium air battery that was designed to deal with the fire and also explosion risk of some other lithium rechargeable batteries and clear the way for advancement of large size lithium rechargeables for a number of marketplace software, including hybrid and electrical powered vehicles!
Lithium ion (Li ion) batteries have fast become by far the most widely used battery chemistry in modern portable gadgets including laptops, cellular phones, along with PDAs. As a result of higher electricity density, the little, and the construction flexibility, Li-ion along with Li-ion polymer batteries have replaced nickel standard rechargeable batteries! All top battery makers have released next generation Li ion cells. Lithium-ion batteries will drive the hybrid as well as electric car revolution. And revolution isn’t too strong a word for it.
The Energy Independence and Security Act toughened up fuel efficiency standards to thirty five mpg by 2020. Obama stiffened the standards more in May, raising fuel economy requirements to thirty nine mpg for automobiles as well as twenty seven mpg for trucks. The deadline was moved up four years to 2016. The new regulations guarantee the lithium ion battery stands out as the single way car makers are able to meet the new criteria. Since a car battery requires hundred times more lithium carbonate than a laptop battery, there is a need to construct large-scale production facilities. The Energy Department just announced $8 billion in low-cost loans to Ford, Nissan and Tesla to construct brand new battery factories. Metal Miner reports, “Johnson Controls as well as Saft of France are creating a battery production facility in Michigan supported by $220 million of state aid.” The government has committed $25 billion via the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan Program to nurture the emerging Lithium Battery industry.
Meanwhile, our fresh Prius is making use of the NiMH battery, and the present state of non-lithium battery engineering isn’t terrible! The Prius makes use of a Sealed Nickel Metal Hydride Battery (Ni MH, for ) which is short with a power output of 28 horsepower (twenty one Kw) and 201.6V Voltage. There is one more small auxiliary battery (12 Volts), that provides power to the Prius computer. The Prius electric battery is designed to keep working the lifespan of the car. According to Toyota, this’s around 180,000 Miles. The battery packs can truly be reused. A summary of the process can be found on Toyota’s site. It must be listed that the Prius traction batteries are under warranty for 8-10 years or 100,000 miles, so will be replaced for free before then in the circumstances of failure. Nonetheless, should the battery fail outside this time-line, the estimated cost of traction battery replacement is $3,000. When fast acceleration is necessary, the battery power will “help” the fuel engine, reducing the use of gasoline during this period of time. Our 2010 Model II is getting over 50 miles per gallon and we still have under 2,000 miles on it. We enjoy observing the mpg indicator hover between 60 along with hundred mpg when running on dull road! The important thing is we have lowered our gas spending by 2 thirds and more importantly, the carbon footprint of ours by two thirds!
From 2003 to 2007 as Blackberry’s and iPods exploded on the scene, demand doubled for lithium carbonate, the refined form of Lithium utilized in batteries. Lithium’s ultra-light fat and volatility make it the most perfect fuel for powering tiny batteries. Lithium-ion batteries are pack, smaller, and lighter a lot more energy than typical batteries. So they’re great for laptops along with mobile phones. And soon will be for EV’s!!
Today’s state of electronic powered automobile development is simply an end user examination by the auto manufacturers. They will drag their legs, wallowing in their ignorance, greed, and arrogance until consumers shouts’ Enough!’ Global warming is a way bigger long range problem than the petro/auto industries narrow minded, short term myopic focus on stock returns plus their blatant lack of concern for carbon dioxide emissions. The Federal government has to be giving each and every buyer of hybrid vehicls along with electrics a tremendous’ Tax Credit’ until the emissions issue is under control. Buyers have to become enticed going electrical! The major car makers won’t resign on their mind washed public (which they created) until they’ve milked the’ SUV’ and’ PU’ (pick up) cow dry! Is OPEC the culprit? No! Its our own Petro Automotive Industrial complex!
What is going on inside the automotive sector with forward looking companies?
* Mercedes launches its S400 HYBRID sedan early in 2010. E-Class, M-Class, and GL-Class is tailing it closely.
* Tesla Motors has delivered its American-made Roadster, an all electric two seater sports car and programs to debut its Model S sedan in 2011. The Tesla Roadster accelerates from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, attains speeds of up to 160 mph, and journeys more than 200 miles on one single charge.
* Nissan has retooled a factory in Tennessee to create 150,000 pure electric cars, called The Leaf.
* Ford is bringing out the pure electric Transit Connect business fleet van in 2010 and programs to invest $550 million to retool a Michigan truck plant to build a pure electrical Focus in 2011.
* Chinese vehicle makers Hafei and Coda are planning to take a mass-produced electrically charged vehicle to market in California in fall 2010.
* The BMW MINI E offers you all the fun and nimble handling of its gas cousin, but costs forty % less to operate a month. A test fleet was launched in the US this past May (2009).
* The Jeep Patriot SUV, Dodge sports automobile, four door Jeep Wrangler and Chrysler minivan are supposedly pulling Chrysler into the electric vehicle race.
* The Chevy Volt is apparently already in production and also is available in 2010. GM’s rebirth as a viable company may perhaps depend on the Volt! The Volt is powered by advanced Lithium Ion bright batteries with associated computer controls for cooling and also recharging.
Should OPEC be troubled? The Volt is going to cruise for up to forty miles without touching a drop of gasoline. The forty mile range is no coincidence. It’s the average distance seventy five % of Americans journey on their daily commute. After forty miles, an on-board internal combustion engine recharges the batteries. It is anticipated to get 230 mpg in the city and give the Volt a 640 mile range on a single tank. The Volt is going to average 100 to 230 miles per gallon of gas.
What’s happening over the global scene about the use of Lithium for the processing of batteries?
* China announced plans to jack up the production of refined Lithium for use in batteries 461 % by 2011.
* An Australian company recently agreed to generate 17,000 a considerable amount of this wonder material in China’s Jiangsu province.
* The Obama administration has earmarked a whopping twenty five dolars billion, an increase of 6,250 times over previous expenditures, to develop refined provisions of the super green fuel.
If the expanding Lithium Producers and Lithium Battery developers pick up the pace, we must see real improvement in the EV industry very soon, not one minute much too shortly! Examine the website link below for far more detailed information on existing advantages and disadvantages of Lithium Ion batteries.
Lithium polymer battery manufacturer